Nelnet Gives Back
At Nelnet, we value giving back to the communities in which we live and work. Paid time off to volunteer, matching donations made by associates, and office fundraising events are just a few of the ways we show it.
Nelnet Foundation: Who We Are
The Nelnet Foundation formed in 2004 to help Nelnet live out its core value of giving back to the communities in which we live and work. The charitable priorities of the Nelnet Foundation are education, scholarships, and youth programs that support our communities. In addition, the Nelnet Foundation matches donations made by associates to schools and charities about which they are passionate. Since its inception, the Nelnet Foundation has granted more than $18.7 million to hundreds of organizations that improve lives and our communities.
Learn to Dream Scholarship
Since 2007, the Learn to Dream Scholarship program has been helping low-income students in Lincoln, Neb. access higher education at Southeast Community College (SCC).
- Covers 100% of tuition and fees for up to one year at SCC
- Supports low-income Lincoln Public Schools students
- Granted 5,000+ scholarships through the program
Each year, the Nelnet Foundation provides scholarships to select students of Nelnet associates.
- Renewable $5,000 scholarships
- Nonrenewable $1,500 scholarships
- Criteria includes academic success, work experience, and leadership
Nelnet is proud to support United Way, an organization that works with thousands of charities across the globe.
- Annual, company-wide United Way fundraising campaign
- Nelnet matches associate donations dollar for dollar, including a double match for first-time donors
- All funds raised stay within local Nelnet communities
- Raised over $1 million for local United Way organizations in 2018
Nelnet celebrates associates who choose to give back to the causes and educational institutions they care about most by matching individual donations of at least $100.
- Gifts to schools matched 3:1
- Eligible nonprofit donations matched 1:1
Nelnet-Supported, Associate-Fueled Volunteering
Time Off to Volunteer
What’s important to you is important to us. Take time off for causes that matter to you.
The gift of things: we regularly host in-office supply drives for toys, warm clothes, food, and other items to donate to those in need.
Existing Nonprofit Partnerships
TeamMates, Junior Achievement, and United Way are just a few of the nonprofits we support year-round.
We support JA’s efforts toward educating, inspiring, and preparing young people to succeed.
Many Nelnet associates engage in one-on-one mentorships with local students through this program.
Service Days and Events
Teams take time off to volunteer as a group doing a variety of activities, like lending a hand at food banks, painting houses, or wrapping gifts for those in need.
New Nelnet hires spent their first day packing bags for children in need.